Sunday, March 13, 2011

Trains

I am only writing about trains because I am really longing for a plane trip to Florida but can't commit to a date. I know that I  have to get a jump on it early, so the ticket won't be too expensive.  Whew!  So, I got really excited when I saw my relatives getting free Southwest airline tickets from the web.  I checked it out and ZAP nothing.   Lies, hype and disappointment.  Sigh.  The nerve of marketing scams!!

However, I am not one to be rained out completely.  I can be, but I am on a new trend of positive come-back.  Therefore, I am going to write about trains. 

I took a train two years ago to visit my son; and since I was alone, I got to absorb the scenery and muse on the passing buildings, the sounds of the train, and the ramblings of my imagination.  Sadly, my son didn't rave over my poem and only said, "Neglect eh?"

My come-back?  I am publishing my poem and dedicating it to Trains, Sons, and Travelers everywhere!



Fresno Train  

All Aboard!
Martinez, Modesto, Madera, Merced.

All Aboard!
Backlands of the San Francisco Bay.

All Aboard!
Backyard Doughboys, puddles, sheds,
graffiti, leaning fences, neglect,
cul-de-sac streets, old cars, and trucks.

All Aboard!
New communities with no space for clutter or rust.

All Aboard!
The horn blows past factories, farms, seedlings in
neat wet rows looking up at the big Montana sky.
Its iridescent clouds' big fat cheeks ready to rain
some more or float away.

All Aboard!

O1-24-2009

1 comment:

  1. Just letting you know I am visiting, Sally. Sometime I will probably use one of your poems in a post on my blog, if that's okay with you. I would, credit you as the author and probably put the whole poem in quotes. Maybe you've noticed that I occasionally have put poems, or parts of poems, on my blog.
    therapiststhoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete