Monday, May 31, 2010

Elizabeth Blakely Hall Elkins

My niece died this week much too young. I was privileged to be able to visit with her extended family. I think we all had a hard time balancing the joy of reunion with the sadness of the situation.

I couldn't stay because of family issues of my own, but I was impressed with the support everyone was giving to Elizabeth's husband, children parents, and siblings. How I wanted to know each one; but the time was short, and I was an outsider bowing out to their time with their wife, mother, daughter, and sister.

I watched a squirrel while I was visiting. I wondered how the animal world deals with death and family in general. Does anyone know how to respond to this kind of loss? I guess we all do our best, and trust that each person will grieve in their own way as a part of the deceased becomes part of us.


Lizzy

Gray Squirrel has no trouble
flitting down the evergreen tree.
His whisking tail behind him trails.
He is unaware of me. He has no
concern it seems of our loss today,
or perhaps he too is off to mourn
where our sweet Lizzy lay.

May, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment